Friday, January 6, 2012

Internally Acquainted

Orientation: Check.
Name Badge: Check.
Parking Tag: Check.
Learning my way around: Still in progress.

After the first week of my internship at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, I know one way to get most places inside the hospital. As long as I can start at the Hope Boat (information desk), I can find my way through the labrynth of hallways that make up the impressive campus. I've only had a taste of what my internship will be like for the next five months, but so far, I like the flavor.  The people are friendly, the job description is exciting, and the purpose is motivating, that "no child should die in the dawn of life," as founder, Danny Thomas stated.

Most of my week consisted of getting acquainted with general procedures of the hospital and how things run in Volunteer Services. This included orientations, security processes, and several meetings. I also got to start a few flyers, set up volunteer schedules and attend a Memphis Grizzlies House dinner. The MGHouse is hotel-type housing where families stay for up to 7 days during short-term treatment for their child. My favorite part has been getting to know the staff. It's a small staff (made of 6 full-time employees and 3 interns) but it's a tight-knitt staff. In the next couple weeks I will be trained and begin having more interaction with patients and their families. I am excited to see what God has in store for me now that I've gotten this far.

No comments:

Post a Comment