Friday, January 6, 2012

Internally Intrigued

Ten days ago I moved to Memphis, Tennesse for an internship at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. My job is in the volunteer services department and will go through the end of May. I will be working under the coordinator of shift work volunteers, helping her oversee the programming of volunteers which include doing volunteer spotlights, writing newsletters, creating flyers, filling volunteer shifts myself, etc.



The process to get the internship, from my first interest through being offered the position, spanned out across 10 months, but my original aspirations to get involved with St. Jude began years ago. As a kid, my family would drive Memphis a couple times a year to visit the rest of our family in NE Tennessee. Every time we did, I took note of the St. Jude buildings as we passed by them on the interstate. I knew about St. Jude and, seeing it through the car window, I was intrigued. I have no medical inclination whatsoever, but I tucked away the thought of St. Jude into my mind as something I might pursue later in life. Fast forward about 8 years and there I was on a computer at OU searching for opportunities, for after graduation. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but began browsing the St. Jude website, www.stjude.org, and stumbled on the Volunteer Services Internship.

I decided to keep this blog as a convenient way to update my friends and family of how things are going with the internship and what's new with me in Memphis. INTERNally, I get exposure to a lot of the inner-workings of the hospital (the non-clinical aspects, of course). I am excited for the opportunity to grow professionally through this rare experience while making a difference at St. Jude  for the kids that depend on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment